The Delaware Academy of Family Physicians Research and Foundation, Inc. (DAFP-REF) is a 501-c-3 non-profit organization founded in 1989 as the philanthropic arm of the Delaware Academy of Family Physicians (DAFP), a statewide non-profit professional medical society. Originally the name of the organization was The David and Ethel Platt Family Physicians Summer Fellowship Fund, Inc. The name was modified in 1991 to The Delaware Academy of Family Physicians Research and Education Foundation.
The purposes of the corporation are exclusively charitable educational, literary and scientific and include the following:
- To promote and maintain high standards of practice in the specialty of family medicine in Delaware;
- To support the research activities in family medicine that will ultimately result in improved family care;
- To support activities that encourage medical students to pursue careers in family medicine in sufficient numbers to meet family medicine needs in Delaware;
- To support activities that enhance the educational preparations and training of prospective family physicians;
- To support activities that expand and maintain the educational excellence of family physicians throughout their professional careers;
- To increase the fund of biomedical, psychosocial, and health economic knowledge through the support of research, publications and dissemination of literature, and educational programs;
- To promote the field of Family Medicine to health care professionals and the public;
- To educate the public on matters of public health;
- To educate family physicians on cultural competence.
2019-2020 Board of Trustees
President: Rebecca Jaffe, MD, MPH, FAAFP
Vice President: Karen Antell, MD, MPH, FAAFP
Treasurer: Erin Kavanaugh, MD, FAAFP
Secretary: David Hack, MD
Directors at Large:
Jamie Rapacciuolo, DO
Evan Bilheimer, MD
Adrian Wilson, DO, FAAFP
Paul Yerkes, MD
Seema Dattani, MD
Yoav Tal, MD
Lindsay Ashkenase, MD
Cindy Siu, MD
Hugh Bonner, MD
Cedric Barnes, DO
Joseph Kim, DO, FAAFP
Aliya Mosby Carillo, MD
Brian Beachler, MD
SAVE THE DATE!
The David & Ethel Platt Summer Fellowship
The David and Ethel Platt Family Physicians Summer Fellowship was established in the name of two exemplary family physicians to help create a way to excite first and second-year medical students about family medicine.
For more information click here.